Monday, January 17, 2011

Cooking Foraged Mushrooms

See previous post: Mushroom Foraging at Salt Point State Park

Finally got around to cooking the mushrooms today… simply sautee with olive oil and butter, season with a little salt to keep the flavors as natural as possible. I also taste each mushroom with my lunch of orzo, homemade tomato sauce, and sauteed broccoli rabe – all the mushrooms hold their own, and the ones that are bitter don't taste so bitter anymore.

Clockwise starting at the top: hedgehog, pig ear, yellowfoot chanterelle, candy cap, black trumpet/chanterelle


Chanterelle (cut into squares),
Witch’s Butter, 2 unknowns at bottom-right
Witch's butter – expands a lot, slightly bitter, jelly taste like it looks
2 white unknowns – very bitter
(The instructor said not to eat anything unidentified, but my curiosity got the better part of me. An hour later and I still feel fine...)


Candy cap
Candy caps are my new favorite mushroom. They make the entire house smell like maple syrup and taste like it too. I have some drying right now to test its air freshener quality.

Hedgehog
Hedgehogs have high water content and taste buttery.

Black trumpet/chanterelle

Yellow foot chanterelle

Pig ear
I have to agree with the instructor, pig ears aren't very flavorful. In fact, the more I eat them, the more bitter they become.

No comments:

Post a Comment