Sunday, March 20, 2011

Gracias Madre

www.gracias-madre.com

Visit date: February 26

It was girls night out and someone suggested Gracias Madre. I'm always down for some good Mexican food but little did I know this place is organic AND vegan. Scanning the menu, I immediately want to try everything because vegetarian and vegan restaurants are a feat. They have to be extremely creative since they can't simply throw a piece of bacon in or add chicken stock to flavor the components. For example Gracias Madre makes their own cashew cheese – I've never even heard of that! Everything tastes wonderfully delicious.

But before getting too caught up in the food, I should warn that they don't take reservations and the wait on a Saturday night can be brutal, up 2 hours! I probably wouldn't go back if I have to wait that long again – even though they only serve beer, wine and soju, drinking on an empty stomach for 2 hours probably isn't the best thing. Fortunately, they're open seven days a week from 11am to 11pm. If you really want to go on the weekend, go early or go late.

horchata latte
I've only had cold horchata but I think I prefer it hot now that I've had this latte. Horchata latte is exactly as it sounds. It's horchata that's seen the effects of an espresso machine's steam wand to give it a lighter texture.

pozole – traditional hominy stew in an ancho-chile broth
I'm addicted to pozole whenever I see it on a menu. Tonight is no different. The pozole is outstanding but beware if you can't handle spice.

pozole – traditional hominy stew in an ancho-chile broth

empanada del dia – homemade pastry filled with seasonal
vegetables (sweet potato), served on a bed of spicy mole sauce

empanada del dia – homemade pastry filled with seasonal
vegetables (sweet potato), served on a bed of spicy mole sauce

tamal del dia – stoneground heirloom masa steamed
in the husk filled today’s seasonal selection,
served with seasoned black beans and escabeche

spicy mole enchiladas topped with mushrooms and cashew cheese,
served with sautéed kale and seasoned black beans

tacos – three corn tortillas topped with choice of seasonal vegetables
and cashew cheese, served with seasoned black beans
Tonight's choice: hongos – sautéed mushrooms with garlic; and greens – sautéed kale with garlic and chiles





No comments:

Post a Comment