Thursday, March 24, 2011

5A5 Steak Lounge by Chef Allen Chen

www.5a5stk.com

Visit date: March 04

I like just about anything and am willing to try anything at least once. However, tonight is pretty much a crapshoot from the moment we arrive. Maybe this is why I don't frequent steakhouses... or... I should have taken my hint when they posted on Groupon...

At best, the food is mediocre. And it doesn't help that the lounge has an unusually large crowd of Financial District folks hanging out after work. Someone hosted a party which always leads to drunkards spilling their drinks. And to top it off, some old man and his lady were heavily making out followed by the old man rubbing his bare feet. Get a room!

scallops BLT  smoked bacon, romaine lettuce puree, tomato jam
I'm actually surprised I wanted scallops – I think they're over used. 5A5's scallop dish is wrapped in bacon which needs more crunch. The lettuce puree and tomato jam are what really drew me to the dish, but in the end, the dish as a whole is just ok.

tako salad – octopus, daikon, japanese cucumber,
kimchi vinaigrette
2 things I really like: octopus and kimchi. This dish is flavorful and bright, but not the greatest to look at. It's a big salad and almost looks like a random pile of slop – presentation needs improvement.

cabassi and rea wagyu ribcap – shitake, spinach
I've never had ribcap before so the waitress explains it's the cap of a ribeye, supposedly more tender, in addition to the fact that we're eating a wagyu beef. The dish is good, pretty typical accompaniments of mushrooms and spinach. And it's because of these traditional accompaniments that I wouldn't come back and order the dish again. I expect more creativity for meat priced by the ounce with only two options of 4 or 8 ounces.

7 degrees of chocolate 
truffle torte, soft chocolate, chocolate dust, chocolate glass, green tea white choco mousse, hazelnut milk chocolate mousse, lavender dark chocolate mousse

No comments:

Post a Comment